The 2020 Big Sky GeoCon Committee and the Montana Association of Geographic Professionals (MAGIP) invite you to participate in the Map/Poster Gallery at the 2020 Big Sky GeoCon to be held at the Holiday Inn Downtown, Missoula, MT, April 6-9.
The MAGIP Community has demonstrated many creative and insightful ways through maps, other graphical forms, and the web for getting their message out to their audience. If you have created posters/maps that you are proud of and would like to put on display to a large group of GIS professionals, the Map Gallery would be a perfect opportunity to show them to the MAGIP community. We encourage you to enter your maps and web mapping applications to the Map Gallery, for display at this year’s conference! All entries will be evaluated for possible cash awards totaling $700 by judges during the conference.
Guidelines and Policy:
The Map Gallery exhibit is reserved for student, professional and agency projects and work. It is not intended to be a venue for private industry promotion. Posters are not to exceed Arch E size (36” X 48”), portrait orientation preferable to fit correctly on display boards.
- No vendor or product advertisements. Vendors may submit posters as long as it is a product of work and not an advertisement.
- All submitted maps and web mapping applications must contain a list of products used to produce it and contact information. This information list will be displayed with the map and on the web mapping display.
- Awards: $100 for People’s Choice, $75 for first place in 3 categories (Research and Applications, Effective Cartography, and Web Mapping) with prizes for both professional and student and $25 for second place.
Paper Map Guidelines:
- Maximum size of the map is Arch E (36” X 48”)
- Un-mounted flat un-laminated maps/posters are easier to hang
- Do not submit the same map for different categories – please choose the best fit. Anyone may submit a variety of maps/posters in appropriate categories.
- If you carry your map(s) with you to the conference, please drop off at the conference registration desk by 12:00 pm on Tuesday, April 7th, 2020
If you don’t want to carry your map with you, they can be mailed. Please mail maps no later than March 16th to :
PO Box 201001
Helena, MT 59620-1001
All submitters are encouraged to spend some time at their display to answer questions, especially from the judges, during the Map Gallery Reception which is held on Tuesday, April 7th at 5:30 pm.
Web Mapping Applications:
- At 5:30 pm Tuesday, April 7th a special area and time will be set aside for presentations to be made.
- Every submitter will have 5 minutes to present their web mapping application to the judges. Screenshots, PowerPoint, or a live demo will be accepted. If the submission is a live demo and the application does not launch correctly, the submitter will use slides to illustrate the functionality of their website.
- All submitters must supply 5-7 slides that will demonstrate the functionality of their website.
- Web mapping applications must operate from a conference supplied computer. Additional software, specific to the application and not part of the conference’s standard tool suite, will not be allowed.
Submit web mapping application links and slides no later than March 16th, 2020 to email@example.com.
Deadline for submission is Friday, February 14th.
Click the Register button now to submit your poster/map! If you plan to submit more than one poster/map, please create a separate submission for each.
Notification of acceptance will be made on or before March 2nd, 2020. All persons submitting a poster will be expected to register for the conference upon acceptance.
After notification of acceptance, you will receive the Judging Categories/Guidelines.
On behalf of your 2020 Big Sky GeoCon Planning Committee, we look forward to hearing from you!